Accidents, hard food, etc., are the primary cause behind chipped teeth. Having a tooth that is chipped might not cause any issues initially, but with time your teeth might become weak and break off, affecting your regular oral functionalities and facial appearance. Your tooth enamel is indeed the hardest part of your body, but it has its limits too. So, if you discover that your teeth are chipped or broken, you should contact your dentist right away. This is important or else, your tooth can get further damaged or infected, and you might also end up losing your teeth.
Some Self Care Measure
Your tooth can also get chipped if it is weakened by an infection below the gum lines. In those cases, you should consult your endodontist and take the necessary measures like a root canal to restore the functionality of your teeth and prevent it from further damage.
If you already have a chipped or broken tooth, you can try the below measures and visit your dentist as soon as possible:
- This can be a painful experience and hence you can take an over-the-counter pain reliever. You should also rinse your mouth with salt and water.
- If you have to eat anything, have soft or liquid food that would not put stress on the affected teeth.
The treatment for chipped teeth would depend on the severity of your condition. For example, if only a small part of your tooth enamel is chipped, it can be repaired easily in a single visit to the dentist. However, if the chip is due to infected gums and decay, your endodontist would go through several procedures like root canal therapy before the chip can be fixed.
What Are The Common Treatments For Dental Chips?
Some of the most common treatments for the dental chips would include:
- Dental Fillings– This can be helpful if you have chipped just a small part of your enamel. It is primarily used for your back teeth.
- Bondings– This is for your front tooth or those teeth that are easily visible when you smile. Here, your dentist would use a tooth-colored composite resin.
- Crown– This is used when a large piece of your teeth has broken off, or you have a large decay. The crown helps to increase the overall conditions of your teeth and improve its appearance. This procedure might take several visits to your dentist to get completed.
- Dental Veneer– This is yet another great option when your front tooth is chipped.
- Root Canal Therapy– If the chip is big enough to expose your tooth roots, you dentist might recommend this treatment.
Getting your tooth chipped is a dental emergency, and thus it is essential that you contact your dentist immediately. They will thoroughly examine your oral conditions before determining the right treatment procedure for you.